> Credit Union Volunteers
Credit unions are member-owned and governed by a board of volunteer directors who are elected democratically by (and from) the membership. Volunteers play a huge role in our industry and take on a lot of responsibility when they take a seat on their credit union's board of directors. Setting policies and the direction of a financial institution in this day and age is not a task to be taken lightly. We hope the information in this section of our website will be helpful.
If you discover a resource that you feel should be added to this list, please send the information to Donya Parrish.
Books, Manuals, Magazines, and informative articles
- Boards and Leadership: How Boards Can Add More Value a report from Filene Research Institute. Filene has a wealth of research and initiatives on a whole variety of topics.
- Credit Union Board of Directors Handbook -- Now in it's 4th Edition, this book from our national association (CUNA) helps directors build confidence and gained shared understanding. It's relatively short, easy to read, and filled with useful information. The latest edition covers recent legislative challenges and the importance of political involvement. The Network Library has a copy you can borrow. If you're interested in this or other publications, email Kara.
- Credit Union Magazine -- Published by CUNA, the magazine has a monthly print edition and an active website with LOTS of information. The website also serves as an information hub for CUNA's larger conferences like the GAC and the ACUC. While you need to subscribe to get all of the information, the website does offer access to some articles without a subscription. Below are some links to check out.
- Development of the Modern U.S. Credit Union Movement 1970-2010, Paul Thompson, CUDE
- Director's Handbook for Credit Union Regulations, CUNA
- Directors Newsletter (CUNA) -- Either as a print or PDF subscription
- NCUA Report -- Monthly publication from the NCUA.
- Network News (MCUN) -- this regular publication (comes out three times a year) offers a look at what's going on in Montana credit unions. Each issue features a "Directors' Corner." Every volunteer in Montana should get each issue in the mail. If you don't, please contact Beth. Recent articles are listed below:
- People, Not Profit: The Story of the Credit Union Movement CUNA
- Power of Business Ethics, Credit Union Ideals in the Real World, Dick Radtke
- Spiced Up Strategic Planning, Jeff Rendel
- OMG, It's Our Strategy, Jeff Rendel
Certification & Upcoming Training
- BSA for Volunteers- A 22 min video presentation produced as a dues-service by the Network (required training annually for all board members)
- SmartMOVES -- Onsite training for your entire board provided by Network staff
- LSG Directors Series -- A series of six 30-minute, trainings designed to work with your monthly board meetings; developed and presented by Tabitha Garvin, PhD.
- CUNA Volunteer Achievement Program (VAP) -- This is a series (more than 40) of self-study courses. There are printed courses, online exams and courses, and seven courses available on eBooks.
- CUNA Volunteer Certification Program -- This has a Board of Directors Track and a Supervisory Committee Track. Become a "Certified Credit Union Volunteer" (CCUV)
- CUNA Volunteer Certification School -- This annual, week-long school offers volunteers a comprehensive curriculum and a way to earn your CCUV credentials.
- CUNA Board Financial Literacy Certificate
- CUNA Enterprise Risk Management Institute for Directors (2014 dates and locations TBA)
- Other Training
- February 2nd, 2014 (1:00 PM) - February 4th, 2014: Western States Volunteers Conference
- February 19, 2014 (5:30 PM) - February 22, 2014 (2:00 PM): CUNA Volunteer Institute
- February 23rd, 2014 (5:30 PM) - February 27th, 2014: CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference
- April 27, 2014 (3:00 PM) - April 30, 2014 (3:00 PM): CUNA Enterprise Risk Management for Directors
- May 7th, 2014 (5:30 PM) - May 9th, 2014: Annual Convention & Exposition
- June 28th, 2014 (9:00 AM) - July 2nd, 2014: America's Credit Union Conference (CUNA)
Infosight "Board Responsibilities" channel
The Network offers our affiliates access to InfoSight, which is an online compliance manual for credit unions. InfoSight has a whole section -- or "channel" on Board Responsibilities that provides detailed information on a variety of topics. They're listed below. Please note: To access this information, you need an account on our website. If you don't already have one, please request one. If you have difficulties, contact Beth (800-745-5546, ext 134; firstname.lastname@example.org)
WEbsites, videos and Blogrolls