> Credit Union Directors
Credit unions are member-owned and governed by a volunteer board of directors who are elected democratically by (and from) the membership. Volunteers play a huge role in our industry and take on a lot of responsibility when they are elected to a seat on their credit union's board of directors. Setting policies and the direction of a financial institution in this day and age is not a task to be taken lightly. We hope this information will be helpful.
We started a blog in the spring of 2014 just for Montana credit union directors. Read a new entry or resource highlight in A Direct Line each week! Contact Donya Parrish with questions or suggestions.
Books, Manuals, Magazines, and articles
- Boards and Leadership: How Boards Can Add More Value a report from Filene Research Institute. Filene has a wealth of research and initiatives on a variety of topics.
- Credit Union Board of Directors Handbook -- Now in it's 5th Edition, this book from our national association (CUNA) helps directors build confidence and gained shared understanding. It's relatively short, easy to read, and filled with useful information. The Network Library has a copy you can check out by contacting Kara.
- CUNA Volunteer Leadership and Engagement: Best Practices for CU Boards Whitepaper (May 2014)
- Credit Union Magazine -- Published by CUNA, the magazine has a monthly print edition and an active website with LOTS of information. While you need to subscribe to get all of the information, the website does offer access to some articles without a subscription. Below are some links with more detail.
- Directors Newsletter (CUNA) -- Either as a print or PDF subscription
- NCUA Report -- Monthly publication from the NCUA.
- Network News (MCUN) -- this former MCUN publication was a look at goings on in Montana credit unions. It is being replaced in 2016 with a bi-monthly newsletter for directors. Recent articles are listed below:
- People, Not Profit: The Story of the Credit Union Movement CUNA
- Power of Business Ethics, Credit Union Ideals in the Real World, Dick Radtke
- Spiced Up Strategic Planning, Jeff Rendel
- OMG, It's Our Strategy, Jeff Rendel
- CUJournal Special Report on Volunteers February 2013
Certification & Upcoming Training
- Financial Literacy for Directors- Two 50 min video presentations produced in July 2015 with speaker Tim Harrington to fulfil your training needs.
- BSA for Volunteers- A 24 min video presentation produced in Nov. 2014 as a dues service by the Network to fulfill your annual training requirement.
- LSG Directors Series -- A series of six 30-minute, training sessions designed to work with your monthly board meetings.
- CUNA Volunteer Achievement Program (VAP) -- This series of (more than 40) self-study courses are printed courses, online exams and courses, and seven courses available on eBooks.
- CUNA Volunteer Certification Program -- This has a Board of Directors Track and a Supervisory Committee Track. Become a "Certified Credit Union Volunteer" (CCUV)
- CUNA Volunteer Certification School -- (October 16-21, 2016 Charlotte, NC)
- Other Training
- May 9, 2016 (5:30 PM) - May 11, 2016 (12:00 PM): 79th Annual Convention & Expo
- June 26, 2016 (5:00 PM) - June 29, 2016 (12:00 PM): CUNA America's Credit Union Conference
- August 5, 2016 (1:00 PM) - August 6, 2016 (3:00 PM): Director Conference
Infosight "Board Responsibilities" channel
The Network offers our affiliated credit unions access to InfoSight, an online compliance resource for credit unions. The InfoSight channel on Board Responsibilities provides detailed information on a variety of topics (listed below). Please note: To access this information, you need an account on our website. Request one or contact Beth (406.324.7457) if you have difficulties.
WEbsites and videos